I don't think I have time for a quick update so I'll just hit the highlights.
Baby boy is doing much better. He's still likely a bit sick, but his breathing is slowing getting better and he just looks better.
I'm feeling much better about our decision to leave him here for now. I've talked to our pediatrician and been able to text the good Dr Liana and both have been somewhat reassuring.
The pediatrician here is consulting with the best neonatalogists in the state (and she comes from a first rate Children's Hospital in the midwest where she spent her career) and they are pleased with his progress. They didn't get enough fluid yesterday to check for meningitis but that's a good sign. If he had meningitis there would likely be enough pressure to easily get a sample.
The new plan is to keep him on the higher antibiotic doses but for 10 days (not the full 21 that would be required if he had meningitis) as long as he's continuing to progress. If he starts to do worse, we'll transfer him to the closest Level 4 NICU (a 2 hour ambulance ride). There are no other options for transfer because even PDX is too far by ambulance and they don't have flight options.
We're all okay with this new plan.
Yesterday there was a time when I thought maybe this was overkill and the hospital was being overly cautious when they were talking about 21 days of treatment. Two different nurses talked to me, unasked, because I think they could tell I was thinking this. They are very kind nurses who I respect. Each said "I know he doesn't look very sick to you. I know you might think 21 days is too much or this might not be the best place for him. Make no mistake: your baby is sick and we are catching this early which is what we want. Because if we hadn't started this when we did, he would be much sicker now and might die."
They lost a baby a short while ago that was a home birth and that baby didn't get medical care soon enough. They are doing everything in their power not to let that happen again.
The mister and I talked about moving him to the closest NICU (and will do that if he gets sicker) but we have certain benefits where we are. We get to keep him in our room or Sydney's room all the time. That would never happen in a higher level NICU. And I think that's likely as good for his treatment as the antibiotics. We're having our bonding time with him and with Sydney and her mama, it's just in the hospital.
He's eating 2 oz (59 ml) every 2 hours! That's something that started yesterday and such a great sign, don't you think? He's peeing and pooping and has a great temperature. His breath is still a little fast but definitely trending downwards. His color is looking better. He's alert and responsive and completely adorable. All good signs.
Sydney is doing well too. She saw her therapist yesterday and got to enjoy some sunshine. She is hoping to come back home with us for a few days before she heads off to a new job. She's packing up her apartment and her mom will drive her belongings east. Our lovely adoption consultant is even holding a special meeting so Sydney can attend (it was one thing she really wanted).
Thanks to all of you for your comments (and emails). We read each one of them and it is so awesome to have so many people pulling for us all around the world. We appreciate the advice (from you all, it's never assvice only kind words from loving people so don't ever feel bad). I'm sorry I don't have time to respond individually but please know that I really, truly appreciate it.
I'm also thinking a lot about my dear friend luna these days. Her new miracle and mine were born days apart and will be home about the same time. I know they are destined to be great friends as well, just as their older sibs are. I hope she doesn't think I'm a total competitive beeyotch for adding a NICU stay (level 2, only) to my story. Who knew I was just this competitive?