It's so very hard to get all caught up after any time away. I know I just say that all the time but it's TRUE.
I think I'll just hit the highlights of the last week or so:
- The wedding was great. Simple, sweet ceremony. Beautiful bride. Handsome groom. Lots of laughs and tears.
- George from the Apprentice was there and very stylish in a pink shirt. I became a drunken stalker determined to dance with him. He was, unfortunately, always surrounded by a bevy of young women and alas a much better dancer than I. Luckily he knows nothing of my stalkerish ways as I was all talk and no action. We did have a very nice albeit brief conversation the next day. There is no photographic evidence to share with you as proof. You'll just have to take my word.
- My evil brother and sister in law, henceforth known as Mr and Mrs Narcissist or just the Ns for short were their usual selves. Yup, they danced before the bride and groom The father of the bride busted them big time for this. I think he saw them do that at my wedding and was on the lookout for just their sort of tacky behavior.
- Mr and Mrs N expected everyone to take care of their infants. Everyone but themselves. They constantly forced the poor babes on everyone. They ignored most crying and were generally half a ballroom or more away from the babies as often as possible.
- My poor older niece, henceforth known as Cinder, spent the entire weekend taking care of her younger siblings. Her twin showed himself to be the smarter one and stayed home to avoid nanny duty.
- Mrs N thinks c-sections are, and I quote 'the only way to have a baby. I highly recommend it. Everyone should do it.'
- Mrs N also fed various food including melon to her three month old (well, two months if we're age correcting) son. Seriously. Just put some pieces in his mouth.
- Mr and Mrs N committed way too many faux pas to be mentioned in this highlight reel. I'm sure I'll circle back in a few days with some more cosmos under my belt to do them right.
- The only person to avoid holding a baby or any other child care is my other brother in law's partner. He is TOTALLY my hero. I have no idea what he said before we got there but no one EVER asked him to do a damn thing. He seemed to have the most fun of all. Of course, that could have because he was also very into George from the Apprentice. I would have never pegged him for a reality show fan but he put fanatic back into fan.
- I seriously had the best visit with the Parental Inlaws EVER. In nearly 10 years. I think that email really helped. I know she might just have been scared shit-less but whatever. She was nice. Not even her normal passive aggressive self. It was so pleasant.
Other recent stuff
- I started a new part-time job last week. This is one I've lusted after for quite some time. I'm teaching/assisting cooking classes at a local establishment. I think the entirety of my paychecks will go to expensive tools and such but at least I get a discount. It's exhausting being on my feet for such long periods but I'm learning tons, working with a great group of folks and having a blast.
- Kitchen remodeling continues. We've finished Project #2 which involved installing central heat and an attic fan. On the hottest day of the year so far (of course it was only a balmy 85 or so...nothing like my home state which currently has Chris broiling. I'm hoping to get cabinets ordered this week.
- I read Harry Potter 6. No spoilers here but strong feelings about it. And the fact I'll have to wait such a long time for HP 7.
- Now that the Tour de Lance is over I should have more time to spend on the internet. I do, however, still have a strong desire to wear yellow and carry a stuffed lion.
- The mister and I sent off our first picks in the donor embryo lottery. Our chances this time around are about as good as winning the new MegaMillion thing around here. Still, it feels good to be doing something positive for a change.
- I'm secretly hoping we get our third pick---two red-headed genetic parents!! Think of all the money I'll save in hair dye (I dyed my hair red for 12 years because I think it's so cool. Well, that and I had a history of dating crazy red-heads so I became one myself).
- I'd like to thank everyone who tolerated my very self-indulgent last post. I know it didn't make sense to most of you. I haven't heard if the man in question read it yet but I'm still hoping he'll find it one day soon.
And finally I'd like to call attention to a few items from the news:
- Some folks have recently gotten very upset with a certain video game. For all the wrong reasons. Sex is apparently much more worrisome than violence. Now I'm not a fan of this game. I think it has wayyyyyy too much violence. To top it off, some nut is claiming my beloved Sims 2 is indecent and caters to pedophiles. This guy is completely off his rocker. Sims don't even HAVE genitalia. Ever. And their private bits are pixalated any way. If you hack the game you can uncover the pixels and they'll be as endowed as Ken and Barbie. BY DESIGN. It's actually riduculous and funny. Don't you mess with my Sims, Mr Meanie.
- Sad news in the world of chocolate today. My very favorite local Willy Wonka has been bought by the evil empire. RIP 82% Extra Dark and 99% Unsweetened. I'll miss you most of all, Cocoa Nibs.
- If you haven't checked out what google is doing to maps, you have to see the map of the moon. It's really amazing. Make sure you zoom all the way in.
That's the news. Good night and have a pleasant tomorrow.